0:00: With MUCH to talk about thanks to a slew of Fall anime season shows, Justin and Helen get right into the news of the past few weeks, starting with COVID-19 news: Kazue Kato had to put Blue Exorcist on a 1-month break because of it.
1:28: The two hosts then break down the news of Shueisha adding a subscription service to MANGA Plus after remaining free since it’s start, the experiences on the website (Helen) vs. the app (Justin), and who benefits from this the most.
11:38: With one of its members needing surgery, the Kinnikuman manga will go on hiatus until they recover; the Manchuria Opium Squad manga will go on a 1-month break as artist Shikako’s health recovers; and Kaiji was set to return in the September issue of Weekly Young Magazine, but instead, the hiatus will extend until the next issue in November.
13:20: You’d think there’d be no appetite for a 24/7 linear anime channel anymore, but Crunchyroll wants to throw its hat into that ring to test that theory!…This somehow leads to Justin and Helen wondering how ad breaks are controlled on these channels.
16:41: GKIDS is releasing the Spirited Away Stage Play on home media in November, digital in October. So everyone will get a chance to check it out as Helen did soon enough, but at home!
17:58: As they seem to do at big conventions Yen Press has so many announcements they once again announced a few on Twitter and at their NYCC panel. Here’s that roundup of licensed titles:
- Doufu Mayoi, Gin Ammo, & Kurogin (DIGS)’s Black Summoner manga
- Usata Nonohara, Aya Obara, & ox’s The Alchemist Who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet City Life (which is somehow not the one already published)
- Youichi Nishio, Kenji Saito, & Akinari Nao’s Trinity Seven Revision
- Reki Kawahara, Mugetsu, & abec’s Sword Art Online Progressive Canon of the Golden Rule manga
- Rokudo Ningen’s You Can’t See the Snow (Yen On)
- Kei Itoi’s Adults’ Picture Book
- Shin Araki & Haruyuki Morisawa’s Classroom for Heroes (Yen On)
- Saka & Chorefuji’s Once Upon a Witch’s Death: The Tale of the One Thousand Tears of Joy (Yen On)
- Jougi Shiraishi & Azure’s Riviere and the Land of Prayer (Yen On)
- Midori Komai & Domino Ozaki’s Amalgam Hound (Yen On)
- Yuu Morikawa’s My Gemini
- Shikke’s All or Nothing
- Machi Suehiro’s Fox-Colored Jealousy
- Geshumaro’s I Want a Gal Gamer to Praise Me
- Hachi Inaba’s The Tiger Hasn’t Eaten the Dragon Yet
22:09: Neither hosts figured out (or checked) if VIZ announced all these on Twitter or at their NYCC panel, but here’s what they announced, planned for a Summer 2024 release:
- Aki Kusaka’s Let’s Do It Already!
- Yutaka’s I Wanna Do Bad Things with You
- Kasumi Yasuda’s Fool Night
- Kocha Agasawa’s You and I Are Polar Opposites
- Keigo Shinzo’s Hirayasumi
- Alley: Junji Ito Story Collection
- Jun Hioki & Yana Toboso’s Disney Twisted-Wonderland: Rose-Red Tyrant
- Star Wars: Visions: The Manga Anthology (feat. works by Kamome Shirahama, Keisuke Sato, Yusuke Osawa & Haruichi)
- Koushun Takami & Yukai Asada’s Battle Royale: Enforcers
- Hayao Miyazaki’s My Neighbor Totoro: All-in-One Edition
- Haruichi Furudate’s Haikyu!! (3-in-1 Edition)
- Taiyo Matsumoto’s GoGo Monster (2nd Edition)
- Spy x Family: The Official Anime Guide—Mission Report: 220409-0625
- Masashi Kishimoto, Sho Hinata, & Natsuo Sai’s Naruto: Konoha’s Story—The Steam Ninja Scrolls: The Manga
- Masashi Kishimoto, Jun Esaka, & Shingo Kimura’s Naruto: Sasuke’s Story—The Uchiha and the Heavenly Stardust: The Manga
VIZ is releasing the following as digital versions in Spring 2024:
- Fusai Naba’s Aliens Area
- Hiroki Tomisawa & Kentaro Hidano’s Super Smartphone
- Nisioisin & Yuji Iwasaki’s Cipher Academy
26:03: We know Kodansha did announce these at NYCC:
28:33: J-Novel Club has announced during their special YouTube stream the launch of JNC Nina, which will feature light novel translations in French and German. Will launch with the following 6 titles:
- Hamuo & Mo’s Hell Mode (French and German translation)
- Kanata Yanagino & Kususaga Rin’s The Faraway Paladin (French and German translation)
- Yuka Tachibana & Yasuyuki Syuri’s The Saint’s Magic Power is Omnipotent (German and French translation)
- Nozomu Mochitsuki & Gilse’s Tearmoon Empire (German and French translation)
- Yuiko Agarizaki & Aoaso’s Brunhild (German translation)
- Syougo Kinugasa & Tomo Seshunsaku’s Classroom of the Elite (French translation)
- Nagata Kabi’s My Wandering Warrior Eating Disorder
- Ken Wakui & Yukinori Natsukawaguchi’s Tokyo Revengers: Letter from Keisuke Baji
- Shoko Rakuta’s Stay By My Side After the Rain
- Nakasane Nowaki’s Royal Tailor: Clothier to the Crown
- Kumi Tamaru’s Riku Can’t Be a Goddess (Airship)
- Yu Sakurai, Kiduki Hoshikawa, & Ren Hidou’s My Sister Took My Fiance and Now I’m Being Courted by a Beastly Prince
- Danbi’s No Love Zone (BL Webtoon Manhwa)
34:17: One Peace Books licensed Ken Saitō’s Tales of the Tendo Family, slated for release with Volume 1 in Spring 2024; MANGA Plus added Mizuki Kishikawa’s Hope You’re Happy, Lemon and Mapollo 3’s Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World! to their service. (Forgive Helen for messing how this was said, it’s all Justin’s fault for not catching the error in the script!)
35:10: And yes, in final manga licensing news, we have a new publisher! Alien Books will be bringing over the following titles in 2024:
- Yuchang Sasaki’s Fake Rebellion
- Lira Aikawa & Berry Star’s Kerberos in the Silver Rain
- Kazuto Okina & Z-ONE’s Momo: Legendary Warrior
- Kantetsu & Haruna Nakazato’s Endroll Back
37:57: Now to not licensing but notable licensing lapses and expansions: Weathering With You’s manga license has expired, so it’s essentially now out of print; Alphapolis has now expanded their Alpha Manga service to European territories.
40:09: A bunch of 2024 anime will stream on Crunchyroll; The Concierge at Hokkyoku Department Store will likely stream on Crunchyroll but it’ll first see a theatrical release in 2024; Some Discotek anime are now streaming on Crunchyroll:
- Angel Cop episodes 1-6 (English subtitles and dub)
- Black Rock Shooter episodes 1-8 (English subtitles and dub)
- Cyber City Oedo 808 episodes 1-3 (English subtitles and dub)
- Gunbuster episodes 1-6 (English subtitles and dub)
- The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar episodes 1-49 (English subtitles and dub)
- King of Braves GaoGaiGar Final episodes 1-8 (English subtitles)
- Mononoke episodes 1-12 (English subtitles and dub)
Some Fall anime season latecomers are now on Crunchyroll — Captain Tsubasa: Junior Youth Arc (also streaming on Pluto TV) and Power of Hope: Precure Full Bloom; and Suzume will return to North American theaters October 27.
45:24: Toei will screen the Digimon Adventure 02 The Beginning film in the US November 8 (English dub) and 9 (JP subs); HIDIVE will stream My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me! and Chained Soldier this Winter; and in somewhat surprising news, Netflix’s Yu Yu Hakusho will drop on the service December 14.
Main Topic: Fall Anime 2023 Season Impressions, Part 1
47:22: Justin and Helen, deluged by what’s already airing and there’s still a few more anime stragglers that haven’t aired yet (Apothecary Diaries, Pluto), have broken this season discussion into parts. For Helen at least there’s still a couple of anime to still try; meanwhile Justin could only bring himself to discuss the Fall anime sequels, and that includes the ones that took a season break and then returned…
…Justin also talks about one Summer show that (finally) finished though.
Next episode, at least for Justin, expect lots of new anime discussion!
1:18:48: One additional issue of Crunchyroll having essentially all the anime means quality control will be inconsistent across the board. That said, I don’t think anyone could’ve expected as porous an effort that was given for The Yuzuki Family’s Four Sons’ first episode.
1:23:00: Yu Chiba’s Kindergarten WARS has introduced one chapter that had a character go wild with the dialogue. So much so that Chiba had to apologize to the English translator for this!
1:24:10: Shugo Chara! is back! A sequel by Peach-Pit is planned for Summer 2024.
1:25:42: Meanwhile, Hunter x Hunter might be back? We just have a short tweet from Togashi to go on!
1:26:24: Jason DeMarco confirmed on Twitter that there’s no more plans to do more FLCL. There might be cheers from many people around the internet.
1:28:16: And finally, yes, some people can get $30 from Sony/Crunchyroll due to a recent class action lawsuit. Maybe even one of the hosts can apply too…just has to recover it since it could’ve been interpreted as spam!